Wednesday, September 17, 2014

True Confessions

I am a web professional and lover of technology. I designed websites for many years and now write web content. I love computers, laptops, tablets and gadgets. I do not, however, love phones. I have never liked phones. Phone calls make me feel trapped. I just want the call to be over. That's me. I have always been that way. So, guess what? I do not own a smartphone. I use a simple little Tracfone with pay-as-you-go minutes. It makes calls, it handles text messages, it even has a web browser that I never use. It does exactly what I need it to do - exists in case I need it. It is unobtrusive and it is inexpensive.

I was at the grocery store a few weeks ago, looked down the aisle and three of the five people I saw were looking at their phones! Really? I simply don't understand the need to constantly be "connected," even as a business professional. In fact, I believe the constant "on" has a negative impact on productivity and company budgets.

Smartphones are not only costly initial purchases, but the digital plans they require are outrageous. If you are a business owner, does necessity really outweigh the costs of supplying staff with smartphones and plans? I see very few situations where benefits outweigh costs.

Smartphone marketing is impressive. People get caught up in the "have to have" mentality and spend money on items they don't really need. I have a feeling that very few people use even a tiny percentage of the bells and whistles on their phones.

And, kids with smartphones? Don't get me started on THAT one!

No comments:

Post a Comment